Thursday, June 21, 2012

Quilt Block in Honor of Our Blessed Mother

I am making this quilt for a little girl, so I will be focusing on female saints to start with. What better saint to start with than a quilt block in honor of our Blessed Mother. The lily is a symbol of Mary because of her purity and the color blue has always been associated with Mary. (Perhaps later on, I will design other blocks with other flowers that are symbols of Mary - so that one could create a Mary Garden quilt, but I need to tackle one project at a time!)

This block is 12" x 12" and is a patchwork block. One could also choose to create the whole block on a blue field and applique the flower pieces. If you were to create a whole quilt featuring this block, I would suggest varying the blue in the field - a lighter blue on some blocks in order to create greater visual interest.

To download this free pattern, including all pattern pieces: Quilt Block in Honor of Our Blessed Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment